Saturday 12th December 2020.
Galway v Kilkenny: Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Championship.
Croke Park, Dublin.
Galway 1-11 Kilkenny 1-14.
CONNACHT TRIBUNE: Stephon Glennon – Battling Galway surrender All-Ireland title to hungry Cats in physical battle.
THE Galway senior camogie team made a brave defence of their All-Ireland crown at Croke Park on Saturday evening, but the concession of a goal from a penalty late on ultimately saw the Tribeswomen surrender their title to an unflinching Kilkenny outfit.
As contests go, this was as uncompromising as it gets, with the new rules this year allowing greater physicality in the game taken to the brink. This was a ‘no holds barred’ encounter and, when it came to the hooks, blocks and tackles, both sides tallies must have been off the charts.
Indeed, the discourse may be that Kilkenny, having lost five of the last six All-Ireland finals they appeared in since 2013, were just hungrier for the victory, but that would be an unfair – even lazy – assessment of a Galway outfit that gave it their absolute all. Quite simply, the Tribeswomen were not found wanting in this regard.
Over the hour plus of warfare – for this was a war of attrition – Cathal Murray’s charges were more efficient than Kilkenny in converting their scoring chances, but the key factor in deciding the outcome was that they didn’t create enough scoring opportunities.
By this reporter’s count, Galway manufactured just eight defined scoring chances in the second period – pointing six, hitting one wide and having another effort blocked down. For Kilkenny’s part, they had 13, tallying 1-8, striking one wide and spurning the rest.
- 18/12/2020: Battling Galway surrender All-Ireland title to hungry Cats in physical battle – Connacht Tribune
GALWAY: Sarah Healy, Tara Kenny, Sarah Dervan (C), Heather Cooney, Emma Helebert, Shauna Healy, Catriona Cormican (VC), Aoife Donohue, Niamh Kilkenny, Niamh Hanniffy, Ailish O’Reilly, Siobhan Gardiner, Orlaith McGrath, Carrie Dolan, Siobhan McGrath. Subs: Sarah Spellman for Emma Helebert (51), Rebecca Hennelly for Aoife Donohue (60+2).
KILKENNY: Aoife Norris, Michelle Teehan, Colette Dormer, Davina Tobin, Claire Phelan, Meighan Farrell, Kellyanne Doyle, Grace Walsh, Anna Farrell, Anna Dalton, Miriam Walsh, Denise Gaule, Mary O’Connell, Aoife Doyle, Katie Nolan. Subs: Laura Murphy for Mary O’Connell (54), Niamh Deely for Kellyanne Doyle (60)
– Carrie Dolan: 0-06 (0-05f)
– Orlaith McGrath: 1-0
– Siobhán McGrath: 0-02
– Ailish O’Reilly: 0-01
– Aoife Donohue: 0-01
– Niamh Kilkenny: 0-01
- Denise Gaule 1-6(0-04fs, 1-0 pen, 0-01 45)
- Aoife Doyle 0-04
- Anna Dalton 0-01
- Mary O’Connell 0-01
- Katie Nolan 0-01
- Grace Walsh 0-01
- Referee: Owen Elliot (Antrim);
- Standby/Line: John Dermody (Westmeath);
- Line: Ray Kelly (Kildare);
- 4th Official: Andy Larkin (Cork);
- 5th Official: Kevin O’Brien (Limerick)
MATCH PHOTOS: Courtesy of Don Soules Photography
GALWAY TEAM OFFICIALS:
- Manager: Cathal Murray
- Selectors: Orla Kilkenny
- Coach: John O’Connor
- Strength & Conditioning: Robbie Lane
- Goalkeeping Coach: Aidan Ryan
- Backroom Team: John Manton, Conor Ryan, John Duggan
- Kit Men: Micky Grealish, Frank Duane
- Physios: Cliodhna Costello, Sharon Morris
ADDITIONAL MATCH REPORTS:
- 13/12/2020: Heartbreak For Galway In Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Camogie Final – GalwayBayFM.ie.
- 12/12/2020: Gaule hits 1-6 including penalty as Kilkenny end All-Ireland final hurt to become champions again – The 42.ie
- VIDEO: Kilkenny vs Galway 2020 | GAA Camogie Senior All Ireland Final | Full Game – GAA Highlights